Saturday, July 26, 2008

And sometimes you close your eyes and see the place where you used to live

I just finished reading Black Swan Green and I absolutely loved it. It has left me with a warm, satisfied feeling that I anticipate will last the day. I feel very peaceful and dreamlike after a good book. Like I just ate a delicious new dish with a fine glass of wine.
There was a portion of the book that talked about another novel called Le Grand Meaulnes (The Wanderer) by Alain Fournier. I was so excited by this as I read this little novel (the English version) last summer. It was one of favourite reads. Both are about the magic, the pain, the mystery and endless discoveries of childhood and adolescence. It struck me how little we really change as we age. We just forget the awesomeness of discovery we had as kids, the absolute wonder as truths unfold. We also tend to forget the insecurity, occasional self loathing and painful desire to either fit in, or disappear.
Just as I was finishing the last page, the most wicked and powerful storm struck up with torrential rains, booming thunder & tree bending winds. I was filled with overpowering joy witnessing this. Then the sun came out.
It was a perfect ending.

6 comments:

OHmommy said...

One of my most favorite pics I have of my kids is after a storm like that. We were in Chicago and I went down to the lake and snapped away.

Awesome.

I love storms.

Unknown said...

What an enchanting photograph. And the perfect ending for a perfect book.

Tara R. said...

I love reading a good books when it's raining. Perfect weather for immersing yourself in a good story. I love that photo!

Tammie Lee said...

Thank you for the book suggestion. So wonderful how deeply it touched you. The storm sounds wonderful. Delicious how fresh everything is after rain and wind.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad I found you on Blog Her. I am looking for a good read - this could be the one (or two!).

If you have time, come join Fun Monday next week. I bet you would have a great contribution!

Emily

Cheryl Lage said...

Overwhelming joy floods me looking at that image, and the kids aren't even my own. What a perfectly captured moment.