I attempted to donate blood tonight for the good of all mankind. I've tried 3 times before but was turned down due to piercing, antibiotics and...piercing. I was a bit nervous about the whole endeavour to be honest wich cha. Needles are not the issue. In fact, I somewhat enjoy watching the vials fill up with my dark red blood when i need a test. My bravery makes me feel tough ass. But i AM slightly averse to being tied down for 1/2 hour while a pint of blood is sucked out of me. It's not the blood, it's the confinement. It makes me NERVOUS kids!
So after we determined that I am not afflicted with:
- Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (whew!)
- West Nile
And have not:
- donated blood in Quebec before (huh?)
- had any piercings or tatoos in the last 6 months
- used a needle to inject illegal drugs into myself
- taken money or drugs for sex, since 1977 (before that i was a mad slut)
- been in jail for more than 48 hours in the past 12 months (thank god i was bailed out at the 11th hour)
- haven't had sex with anyone whose done any of the above
And I am:
- over 110 pounds (barely, jokes!),
- not pregnant (whew times infinity)
- between 17 & 71
- not a male whose had sex with another male, since 1977 (wow, 1977 was a killer!)
They tested my hemoglobin. And whadda ya know? They pricked my finger and dropped it in copper sulphate & that little sucker didn't drop, which it would have had there been enough iron in my blood. So then they did some other more involved test & my blood failed that too. So rude. I needed to have a level of at least 125 & mine was 115. Bummer. I can't even try again for 56 days.
liquid iron supplement
red meat (hopefully it doesn't give me CJD or this vicious cicle starts all over again)
Instead I bought a purse & two shirts to drown my good intentions in.
P.S I'm sorry for the gigantic & odd-spacing in this post. Blogger has gone mental again.