Tuesday, August 5, 2008

And you know that she's half crazy But that's why you want to be there


I work in a portable apart from the main building. Perhaps this is so everyone else doesn't have to look at the people who come here for help. If anyone comes around looking for food, clothes, bus tickets, soap, they send to me. Things are getting worse. There are young guys coming from out East looking for jobs and living in tents. There are people who cannot get to work because they can't fill their gas tank. Some families who were just making it are now a few days short of groceries between pay cheques due to rising food prices. Sometimes people just want to get out of the hot sun, sometimes they just want someone to listen.

I am sitting here in my office today listening to the rain drum on the roof, how cozy and warm I feel, how the sound of the rain is comforting, to me.

8 comments:

vinny said...

Are you a counselor or social worker?

Eve Grey said...

I'm an Outreach worker for people who live below the low-income cut-off line in a "high-needs" area of the city.

OHmommy said...

Wow Eve Grey, that must be a very interesting job. Cool.

DJ MotorCityMonk said...

I believe I do detect a sweet Leonard Cohen lyric...and yes, the sound of rain can be comforting unless there's just too much rain and it starts flooding into my basement :)

Unknown said...

"He sank beneath your wisdom like a stone"

I SO love that song.

Eve Grey said...

It is actually one of my favourite songs ever.

Anonymous said...

"...things are getting worse, but I feel alot better."

You do good work.

neutron said...

Eve, just wanted to say thanks ... for all that you do.